My photo
Hello, my name is Kelly and I welcome you to the Bookend Diaries book blog. I created this blog to share my own reviews of existing and new books, to discuss with other readers what we’re currently reading, update you on my book club picks, and of course, to ultimately support the work of the authors we all enjoy. I am addicted to reading and I thought this would be a great way to reach out to other readers who are as obsessed with books as I am.

Friday, May 14, 2010



The bottle tree's origins can be traced back to Africa. Evidently, it was believed that shiny objects placed around the home would attract evil spirits away from the family. With the tragedy of the slave trade, the tradition found its way to North America and continued to evolve into the hanging of bottles in trees to "trap" the evil spirits.

People now don't believe bottles could in any way "trap" evil spirits. However, over the years the bottle tree has become a very unique Southern gardening tradition. They do make for a beautiful decoration, beside the wonderful sounds that are made through the lips of the glass when the wind blows through them.

13 comments:

  1. That's so pretty!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Just hopping by on the Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, if only our garden was big enough to put one in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly...thanks for stopping by my blog. I have to tell you, I am a huge Audrey Hepburn fan and absolutely LOVE the pictures you have of her on your blog!

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just stopping by for the Blog Hop. I enjoyed your review of On Folly Beach. I will be adding it to my wish list pile.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its awesome! So pretty!!! I didn't even know about bottle trees!!! Thanks For posting! Happy Reading

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think these are so cool but I'm always wondering what happens to them in a good wind. It's not infrequent for us to have 50 mph wind gusts and I sure don't want to find shattered glass everywhere. But the sound would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure this sounds silly, but I've never seen or heard of a bottle tree before. I have to say, though, that looks great. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you so much for the interesting info on the bottle trees. i have never heard of them before. what a unique idea. thank you for visiting our mother/daughter blog. love your wallpaper on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have only recently fallen in love with bottle trees! I am waiting for my first special occassion to start saving my wine bottles and making one!

    ~angela @ peonypatch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, stopping by. Thanks for visiting me from the Blog Hop! I love this post - I was just thinking that these are the kinds of things that make a culture unique.

    - Rebecca

    ReplyDelete