My photo
Hello, my name is Kelly and I welcome you to the Bookend Diaries book blog. I created this blog to share my own reviews of existing and new books, to discuss with other readers what we’re currently reading, update you on my book club picks, and of course, to ultimately support the work of the authors we all enjoy. I am addicted to reading and I thought this would be a great way to reach out to other readers who are as obsessed with books as I am.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Summer We Read Gatsby by: Danielle Ganek



***Received an advance copy courtesy Viking

Synopsis

Half-sisters Cassie and Peck could not be more different. Cassie is a newly divorced journalist with her feet firmly planted on the ground; Peck is a vintage-obsessed actress with her head in the clouds. In fact, the only thing they seem to have in common is their inheritance of Fool's House, a rundown cottage left to them by their beloved Aunt Lydia. But Cassie and Peck can't afford the house, and they can't agree on anything, much less what to do with the place. Plus, along with the house, they've inherited an artist-in-residence and self-proclaimed genius named Biggsy who seems to bring suspiciously bad luck wherever he goes. As these two likable sisters try to understand their aunt's puzzling instructions to "seek a thing of utmost value" from within the house, they're both distracted by romantic entanglements with men from their pasts. The Summer We Read Gatsby, set in the end-of-an-era summer of 2008, is filled with fabulous parties, eccentric characters, and insider society details that showcase Ganek's pitch-perfect sense of style and wit.

My Review Comments:

This was an enjoyable, light summer read. The book centers around two step sisters named Peck and Cassie that need to reconnect to settle an estate from their favorite Aunt Lydia in the heartbeat of the Hamptons. There are lots of references throughout the book regarding, “The Great Gatsby” and the eccentric characters that make up the parties in the Hamptons. Along the way, the step sisters need to solve a mystery regarding their inheritance and they have to work together, which is no small feat considering they are polar opposites. Added to the problem is that Peck wants to keep the house and Cassie wants to sell the house. There is also a romantic element to the storyline of both sisters rediscover their long lost loves. When all is said and done they must choose where their futures will lead them.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely review! I have to say I did not particularly enjoy reading "The Great Gatsby", but this novel you reviewed seems to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an award for you Here Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I am going to start The Help. I have heard so much about it and everyone has said that it is really good.

    I have never read The Great Gatsby. Maybe I should try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hopping by. This book looks great. I loved The Great Gatsby, and this would be a nice beach book for me.

    ~Jenn
    http://jennyburd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I'm a Great Gatsby fan so I'm tempted to give this one a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Thanks you for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by yesterday for Blogger Hop. I've seen this book a lot lately. It sounds like one I would enjoy. Will have to add it to my list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds interesting. I also like that there are refs to The Great Gatsby, as it is one of my favorite reads of all time. In fact, I am going to re-read it this year. It would be good to do before reading this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like an interesting read. The great Gatsby is one of my favorite books.

    I have an award for you HERE

    ReplyDelete